Sunday, October 4, 2009

Pepper Jack Mac Cups


Picture and recipe courtesy of http://thematzats.blogspot.com

5 T. butter or margarine
1/3 lb. ham lunch meat, sliced thin (substituted bacon instead)
1/4 c. flour
2 c. milk
2 c. pepper jack cheese, shredded or diced
1/2 lb. elbow macaroni, cooked
1 T. butter or margarine, melted
1/4 c. breadcrumbs

Directions

1. In a sauce pan, melt butter or margarine. Add ham and cook for about 5 minutes, until slightly crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.

2. Stir flour into pan and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, bring to a slow boil and cook just until thickened. Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Add macaroni and ham. Stir to combine.

3. Grease muffin tins and press about a quarter to a half cup of mac & cheese into each cup. Combine 1 T. melted butter with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle over each cup. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly and slightly crisp. Remove carefully once they have cooled a bit.

Recipe makes about 20 cups, depending on the size of your muffin pan.

Michelle's notes:

This was my first attempt at home made mac n cheese and it does not disappoint. I made a few changes though. I substituted bacon in place of the ham. Also, instead of stuffing the whole of the mixture into a muffin tin, I just put it in my square pyrex dish. It turned out extremely good. Hot, spicy, cheesy with bacon pieces throughout. I was going to serve it with cornbread (because what else do you serve with a bacon mac n cheese dish?) but I didn't want to wait 20-30 minutes. So I took my Jiffy mix and decided to make cornbread pancakes. Yeah, I know, I'm lazy like that. But sometimes my laziness turns into sheer genius because they were really good. Throw on some honey butter and they're good to go.

No comments: