Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Slow Cooker Jambalaya

Recipe found on All Recipes here.

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound andouille sausage sliced
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. Cajun Seasoning
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 lb. frozen cooked shrimp without tails
Brown Rice

Throw everything except shrimp into a slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours. Add shrimp 30 minutes before serving. Serve over Rice.

Michelle's notes:

I browned the sausage first to get some flavor then de-glazed the pan with the chicken broth, then poured everything else into the slow cooker. I wouldn't let it cook longer than 4 hours or so because our sausage turned out a little soggy. (my original time was 1 hr on high before church, then 4 hrs on low) The rice is normally cooked in the Jambalaya, but I didn't want my rice to soak up all the liquid while we were at church, so I just whipped up some brown rice right as I threw in the shrimp and spooned the Jambalaya over it. Also, watch the seasonings. I'm usually light handed with dried herbs because they're so strong but when I went to taste everything all I could taste was the spicy andouille sausage so make sure to add the correct amount of seasonings.

No comments: